Re: Gnus notification of replies to my articles

From: Richmond
Subject: Re: Gnus notification of replies to my articles
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 15:57:16 +0000

> On Thursday, 12 Mar 2020 at 12:59, Richmond wrote:
>> OK I am sending this by email to the mailing list, and I have set a
>> message-id on it which will be something like
>> *richmond.this-is-a-message-id.example.com but I am expecting that
>> this
>> message id will be replaced with one from the mail system like
>> mailman.2516.1584004990.2412.info-gnus-english@gnu.org, but you won't
>> see that if you look at it in email I think, only if you look at the
>> news server at news.gnus.org. On there the original message-id will
>> be
>> copied into references.
>
> You are correct.  Sorry about that.  I am surprised that the news
> server
> changes the reference.  Must be due to the gateway functionality
> between
> the mailing list and the news server?
>
> On a related note, is gmane.emacs.gnus.general no longer the place to
> read gnus related news items if you prefer nntp to email?  Although it
> is meant to be gatewayed (sic) with the ding mailing list, that gmane
> newsgroup hasn't been updated in several weeks.  The gnu.emacs.gnus
> group on news.gnus.org seems up to date, however.
>
> I was not aware of news.gnus.org until your post here.

Did you post the above on the news server? It seems to be a one-way
gateway, although there is no obvious indication of that. I have cut and
pasted the above into email.

I checked the group nntp+news.gmane.io:gmane.emacs.gnus.general and
there is a post four days ago. I wasn't subscribed to it, but I am now.

With gmane it used to be that you had to register your email with the
mailing list, then you could post with the same email on nntp, but I
don't know what the arrangement is here, I haven't tried that hard to
find out, just instead muddled through.