Re: Rendering Content-Type: text/markdown with shr via text/html?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Rendering Content-Type: text/markdown with shr via text/html?
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2019 14:22:57 +0200

Adam Sjøgren via info-gnus-english <info-gnus-english@gnu.org> writes:

> I'm experimenting with posting articles with text/markdown as the
> Content-Type.
>
> I was wondering what the easiest way is to have Gnus translate such
> articles to HTML and display them via shr, as is done for text/html
> articles.
>
> Anyone already tackled this?

I don't think so.  There's several markdown packages on Marmalade, but
these seem more geared towards generating Markdown, and not displaying
it.

A function to convert Markdown into HTML might be nice, but I haven't
really seen anybody post with Markdown, so I'm not sure how useful this
would be.  But I guess it's a chicken and egg problem -- if mail readers
did support rendering Markdown, then people would start writing in
Markdown.

But is that a good thing?  :-)