Re: smtpmail vs msmtp

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: smtpmail vs msmtp
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2019 13:47:29 -0700

Lars-Johan Liman <info-gnus-english@cafax.se> writes:

> Being an old Sendmail MTA geek, I use a different approach entirely.
>
> I have a local MTA (now Postfix, as Sendmail is more or less abandonware
> these days) on my machine, and use a "header_dependent_relay" database
> to make Postfix select the right account based on the From: line. GNUS
> just drops the mail on /usr/bin/sedmail (which is Postfix - aargh! ;-) )
> and lets it deal with the problem. Postfix then acts as an SMTP client
> vis-a-vis my various (three) different accounts.
>
> "If all you have is a hammer ...", and my hammer is my MTA. :-)
>
> Note: I'm not saying this is better in any way, I'm merely adding to the
> list of available options, should anyone else be as crazy as I am. ;-)

Oof! I run my own mail servers, also using postfix, but it just seems
like it would be overkill to have yet another postfix instance running
on my local machine. I send from two accounts, which are on different
machines, so I can't even do this trick on a remote server. Don't you
run into trouble sending mail from a local machine?