Re: Gnus hangs during or after reading nnml

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Subject: Re: Gnus hangs during or after reading nnml
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 13:59:04 +0300

On 2017-09-06 14:36 +03, Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> wrote:
> On 2017-09-06 13:11 +02, Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> wrote:
>> Göktuğ Kayaalp writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> sometimes when I fetch new mail with ‘g’, Gnus hangs after the message:
>>> «Reading active file via nnml...done» and I have to keyboard-quit from
>>> it.  When I hit ‘g’ again it works and I don't seem to lose mail.  The
>>> output from an example session is like this:
>>
>> Something like that happens to me from time to time when gnus is waiting
>> for a network connection.
>>
>> After your success the second time, can you go to the server buffer and
>> check if any of them are (denied)?  That may point to the connection
>> that is hanging.
>
> My server buffer looks like:
>
> ,----
> |      {nntp:news.eternal-september.org} (closed)
> |      {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
> |      {nndraft:} (opened)
> |      {nntp:gmane} (opened) (agent)
> |      {nnml:} (opened)
> `----
>
> I don't have a (denied) one but a (closed) one, and after killing it it
> seems that the problem is gone now (I weren't subscribed to any group
> from it anyways).  Thanks a lot!

As an update on this issue, this fix has worked temporarily for me, and
I continued to experience hangs for a while.  Today, I tried
de-agentizing nntp:gmane, which seemed to fix the issue for now, tho IDK
if this will be temporary too.  I wanted to ask if anybody has similar
issues to mine, because I believe we're looking at a bug with gnus-agent
here, and when I'll have some spare time will try my hand at debugging
this.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp       <http://www.gkayaalp.com/>
                        024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC