Re: .gnus init file

From: Sivaram Neelakantan
Subject: Re: .gnus init file
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 09:37:54 +0530

On Sun, Feb 01 2015,btraven  wrote:

> I have both .emacs and .gnus in ~\ (w32 24.4) and am manually
> transfering gnus stuff from .emacs to .gnus
> Is there a way to have options > customize write to a
> custom-set-variables paragraph in .gnus instead of in .emacs or does all
> the gnus stuff set through customize have to stay in .emacs
>
> Also is this the right place to ask about using openssl, gnutls, and
> other non-Emacs apps needed to make gnus a mail reader as well as a news
> reader?
>
> I have all of this in \emacs\gnutls:
>
> cacert.pem          libgnutls-28.dll          openssl.exe
> certtool.exe        libgnutls-openssl-27.dll  psktool.exe
> danetool.exe        libhogweed-2-5.dll        ReadMe.txt
> gnutls-cli-debug.exe  libiconv-2.dll          regex2.dll
> gnutls-cli.exe              libintl-8.dll             srptool.exe
> gnutls-serv.exe       libnettle-4-7.dll               ssleay32.dll
> HashInfo.txt        libtasn1-6.dll            zlib1.dll
> libeay32.dll        ocsptool.exe
> libgmp-10.dll       OpenSSL\ License.txt
>
> and ssl.el in \emacs\site-lisp but the ssl.el may not be current (from
> 1999).
>
> In the emacswiki I read:

I just set up Emacs +gnus+gmail mail send/receive on my win 7 laptop.
And this might not be what you were looking for but here goes anyway.

1.  Download the ezwinports bin files from sourceforge.  Just take all
of them, doesn't matter.  Look for w32-bin files I believe

2.  Put them in c:/gnu/ezwinports or c:/Emacs/ezwinports. err...unzip
them of course.

3. look at your C-h v dynamic-library-alist

Value: ((xpm "libxpm.dll" "xpm4.dll" "libXpm-nox4.dll")
 (png "libpng16.dll" "libpng16-16.dll")
 (tiff "libtiff-5.dll" "libtiff3.dll" "libtiff.dll")
 (jpeg "libjpeg-9.dll")
 (gif "libgif-7.dll")
 (svg "librsvg-2-2.dll")
 (gdk-pixbuf "libgdk_pixbuf-2.0-0.dll")
 (glib "libglib-2.0-0.dll")
 (gobject "libgobject-2.0-0.dll")
 (gnutls "libgnutls-28.dll" "libgnutls-26.dll")
 (libxml2 "libxml2-2.dll" "libxml2.dll")
 (zlib "zlib1.dll" "libz-1.dll"))

These dlls should be there in unzipped directory.

4.  Make sure that ezwinports dir is in the PATH in the "MY Computer"
settings. Adding the path in Emacs doesn't work.  And it has to be
there BEFORE the cygwin path.  which is important.

5.  I have this settings for my .gnus

(setq mail-sources
      '((pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
             :port 995
             :user "xxxxxxx@gmail.com"
             :password "xxxxx"
             :stream ssl)))
;;if retrieving from spool, delete temp file after 1 days
(setq mail-source-delete-incoming 1)
(setq mail-source-delete-old-incoming-confirm nil)
(eval-after-load "mail-source" '(require 'pop3))
;;
(setq smtpmail-stream-type 'ssl)
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 465)
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t) ; only to debug problems set to t if needed
(setq smtpmail-debug-verb t)
;; ;;so that sent-mail folders see "To" headers instead of from
(setq gnus-extra-headers
      '(To ))
(setq gnus-verbose 7)
(setq gnus-verbose-backends 7)

I don't think I used anything other than stock gnus .el files or
anything outside of the the ezwinports.  In fact, I used msmtp before
but since the ezwinports binaries, it's fully native Emacs.

6.  You'd need an .authinfo file in ~/ directory

c:/Users/ADMIN/AppData/Roaming

or somewhere

7. You may want to see this thread for more info

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2015-01/msg00328.html

8. If this works, gnus would render html and images too.

 sivaram