Re: server, group, category, agent... can I download headers? or otherwi

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: server, group, category, agent... can I download headers? or otherwise prevent having to wait everytime I click on a group?
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 12:09:02 +0200

Brady Trainor <algebrat@uw.edu> writes:

> The second one, it seems I would need to download this somehow. I have seen
> it suggested (in the documentation) that I shouldn't try this unless my
> connection is really slow and my disk space is huge. But can I still at
> least save all headers, or whatever it is I'm waiting for to load all 80,000
> summaries (in "gmane.emacs.orgmode")?

Just building the summary for that many articles will take a
considerable amount of time, I think.

The usual way to handle this, is that you only see unread articles when
you enter a group.

Then the newsreader only needs to fetch the articles that have arrived
since you last entered the group, rather than everything.

(And when you subscribe to a group, you usually start by catching up -
i.e. marking all the old articles as read.)

For comparison, Thunderbird suggests to get the newest 500 articles when
entering a group for the first time; sort of the same thing.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "In the past we would do little things for love, but         Adam Sjøgren
  but things, big things required money. Now we can do   asjo@koldfront.dk