Re: lamer... how to send group email efficiently

From: Glyn Millington
Subject: Re: lamer... how to send group email efficiently
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 21:36:24 +0100

> Its a lamer question for 10+ yr gnus user but I've never had occasion
> to send group emails.  Just not something I do.
>
> Now I have need of a nice efficient way to send emails to a couple
> dozen recipients... and looks as if I will be doing this every couple
> of weeks.
>
> The list of recipients will change over time but only by a few
> deletions or additions... so it would be nice to be able to just add
> or subtract email address' to/from something and gnus/emacs will do
> the rest.
>
> There must be a number of folks here who have developed nifty ways to
> do this... please anyone share your technique.

Hi Harry,

>From the Manual

|  2.10 Mail Aliases                                                        |
|                                                                           |
| The message-mail-alias-type variable controls what type of mail alias     |
| expansion to use. Currently two forms are supported: mailabbrev and       |
| ecomplete. If this variable is nil, no mail alias expansion will be       |
| performed.                                                                |
|                                                                           |
| mailabbrev works by parsing the `/etc/mailrc' and `~/.mailrc'             |
| files. These files look like:                                             |
|                                                                           |
|                                                                           |
|                                                                           |
| alias lmi "Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no>"                    |
|                                                                           |
| After adding lines like this to your `~/.mailrc' file, you should be able |
| to just write `lmi' in the To or Cc (and so on) headers and press SPC to  |
| expand the alias.                                                         |
|                                                                           |
| No expansion will be performed upon sending of the message--all           |
| expansions have to be done explicitly.                                    |
|                                                                           |
| If you're using ecomplete, all addresses from To and Cc headers will      |
| automatically be put into the `~/.ecompleterc' file. When you enter text  |
| in the To and Cc headers, ecomplete will check out the values stored      |
| there and "electrically" say what completions are possible. To choose one |
| of these completions, use the M-n command to move down to the list. Use   |
| M-n and M-p to move down and up the list, and RET to choose a completion. |

Of course, bbdb has it's own way of dealing with mail aliases.

hth

Glyn