Re: citation line above or below body?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: citation line above or below body?
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 10:12:52 -0800

On Fri, Jan 21 2011, Philipp Haselwarter wrote:

> "G" == Gary  <gnus@garydjones.name> writes:
>
> G> Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>>> When I reply to messages and cite the original, point ends up below
>>> the citation line. This leads to weird threads, where my text ends up
>>> right below the "so-and-so wrote:" line
>
> G> What do you mean? That you then type where the cursor is? You can
> G> always move it down, you know :) In fact I would encourage you to do
> G> so.
>
> That's the point. Moving down manually every time is a bit of a pain if
> you just want to quote and start typing.

Actually, watching this thread in action, I realized what the difference
is: for news-type threads, where there's a back-and-forth on specific
points, the interleaved style is best (good to know these terms). In
this case, gnus' behavior is fine, and point is left in an appropriate
place, since I'm going to need to manually move it down to the spot I
want to reply to, anyway.

For more email-type threads, I want to top-post (the term I should have
used in my original message), because my personal correspondence is much
more traditional letter-style. I'm not rebutting them point-for-point,
but just writing a reply. Sorry if my original message was unclear.

Guess it's time to write a custom function for
message-citation-line-function!

Thanks,
Eric