Re: pgg passphrase cache expiry not honored?

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: pgg passphrase cache expiry not honored?
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 14:44:58 +0100

Brett Viren <brett.viren@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 1:48 AM, Brett Viren <brett.viren@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I want to move to GPG signed email with GNUS v5.13 / emacs 23.2.  It
>> seems the best way to do that is with PGG but am having trouble telling
>> it to cache my GPG passphrase longer than the default which is only a
>> few seconds.
>
> Just for closure, I found a work-around and that is to rely on
> gpg-agent to cache the passphrase instead of PGG/Gnus.
> Here is what led me to this solution:
>
> http://www.gnus.org/manual/message_27.html
>
> -Brett.

I'm not sure why this is a workaround : its what gpg-agent is for. Its
handy because it can provide the keys for other activities outside of
emacs too.

You might also consider using keychain.

In my .bash_env I have

keychain --quiet
source $HOME/.keychain/$HOSTNAME-sh-gpg > /dev/null 2>&1

ans my gpg-conf is simple

use-agent

cheers

r.