Re: nnimap and large attachments

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: nnimap and large attachments
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 11:53:15 +0100

Massimo Gengarelli <gengarel@cs.unibo.it> writes:

> Is there a way to tell Gnus something like: "Hey dude, whenever a mail
> has an attachment larger than 1MB do not download it unless I tell you
> to do that"?

I think specifying a limit is not possible right now, but there is:

,----[ C-h v nnimap-fetch-partial-articles RET ]
| nnimap-fetch-partial-articles is a variable defined in `nnimap.el'.
| Its value is "text/"
|
| Documentation:
| If non-nil, Gnus will fetch partial articles.
| If t, nnimap will fetch only the first part.  If a string, it
| will fetch all parts that have types that match that string.  A
| likely value would be "text/" to automatically fetch all
| textual parts.
|
| This is a Gnus server variable.  See Info node `(gnus)Select Methods'.
`----

That will only download text parts (text/plain, text/html,...).  To
download all additional parts like attachments, hit `A C'.

,----[ (info "(gnus)Article Commands") ]
| `A C'
|      If `<backend>-fetch-partial-articles' is non-`nil', Gnus will
|      fetch partial articles, if the backend it fetches them from
|      supports it.  Currently only `nnimap' does.  If you're looking at a
|      partial article, and want to see the complete article instead, then
|      the `A C' command (`gnus-summary-show-complete-article') will do
|      so.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo