Re: nnmail split multi-byte bug or feature?

From: stormwatch
Subject: Re: nnmail split multi-byte bug or feature?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:44:14 -0000

On Jul 27, 9:04 pm, Katsumi Yamaoka <yama...@jpl.org> wrote:
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.gnus (posted to news.eternal-september.org)
> Cc: info-gnus-engl...@gnu.org
>
> stormwatch wrote:
> > Note: It seems that the original message sent thorugh
> > news.individual.net was not delivered.
>
> individual.net may forward articles posted to gnu.emacs.gnus to
> a wrong moderator, or /dev/null, or the moderator may neglect it,
> sigh.
>

> > I did set this nnmail split method
> > ("mail.utn.campusvirtual.\\1" "^X-Course-Name: \\(.*\\)$")
> > The problem is that the matched text is multi-byte encoded. Setting
> > (setq nnmail-mail-splitting-decodes t) did the trick. Well, almost,
> > because the group name shown in the *Group* buffer is:
> > 28: mail.utn.campusvirtual.ingenier\355a y sociedad
> > instead of:
> > 28: mail.utn.campusvirtual.ingeniería y sociedad
> > The dir '/home/stormwatch/Mail/mail/utn/campusvirtual/ingeniería y
> > sociedad' was created by gnus but I could not view the summary of the
> > group; not until I created a symlink with a latin-1 encoded dirname by
> > means of convmv:
> > david :: mail/utn/campusvirtual » ls -l
> > total 4
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 stormwatch stormwatch   22 jul 22 05:09 ingenier?a y
> > sociedad -> ingeniería y sociedad
> > drwxrwxr-x 2 stormwatch stormwatch 4096 jul 22 05:19 ingeniería y
> > sociedad
> > My locale is utf-8 (LANG=es_AR.UTF-8)
>
> What is the mail back end you use?  As for the most recent Gnus:
>
> ,---- (info "(gnus)Non-ASCII Group Names") ----
> | Currently Gnus supports non-ASCII group names not only with the `nntp'
> | back end but also with the `nnml' back end and the `nnrss' back end.
> `----
>
> Besides them, nnimap supports non-ASCII group names since Mar.
> 2010 (I haven't tried it though).

I use nnml and gnus included in an up-to-date emacs built from bzr.

Variables that might have to do with this problem:

gnus-group-name-charset-method-alist is a variable defined in `gnus-
group.el'.
Its value is nil

gnus-group-name-charset-group-alist is a variable defined in `gnus-
group.el'.
Its value is ((".*" . utf-8))

nnmail-pathname-coding-system is a variable defined in `nnmail.el'.
Its value is nil

file-name-coding-system is a variable defined in `C source code'.
Its value is nil

default-file-name-coding-system is a variable defined in `C source
code'.
Its value is utf-8-unix

and also, this info node seems relevant:
2.17 Accessing groups of non-English names
   Note that when you copy or move articles from a non-ASCII group to
another group, the charset used to encode and decode group names
should
be the same in both groups.  Otherwise the Newsgroups header will be
displayed incorrectly in the article buffer.

> I tried this for the nnml back end in the utf-8 locale and got
> no problem:
>
> (setq nnmail-mail-splitting-decodes t
>       nnmail-split-methods
>       '(("mail.utn.campusvirtual.\\1" "^X-Course-Name: \\(.*\\)$")
>         ("mail.misc" "")))

Perhaps the problem arised because I respooled the messages. ¿Would
you be so kind as to try the same and see if you can reproduce the bug/
feature? I, otoh, will try to remove everything and create a shiny
brand-new fake-with-the-fingers-crossed incoming message.