Re: Utterly unable to read (maildir) mail with Gnus [Local IMAP?]

From: Andrzej Adam Filip
Subject: Re: Utterly unable to read (maildir) mail with Gnus [Local IMAP?]
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:46:22 -0000

Sean McAfee <eefacm@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been using Gnus to read news for a while now, and I thought I'd
> give it a try for mail as well.  Alas, I've been wrestling with it for a
> while today, to no good effect.
>
> I ran getmail, storing my mail in a maildir directory ~/Maildir.  From
> what I can tell, this should be all I need to do:
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnmaildir "mymail" (directory "~/Maildir"))))
>
> I do see the line "{nnmaildir:mymail} (opened)" in my server buffer.
> When I press RET on that line, I get the message "Connecting to
> mymail...done", but am only greeted with a blank *Gnus Browse Server*
> buffer.
>
> As a test, I pointed Evolution at the same directory, and it was able to
> show all the messages just fine.
>
> I thought this might just be a maildir problem, so I re-ran getmail,
> storing my mail into an mbox file ~/mbox.  Then I tried this setting:
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnmbox "mymail2")))
>
> I get the exact same behavior, except that after I exit Gnus, Emacs is
> still visiting the file ~/mbox.  Is that supposed to happen?
>
> I just tried reading my maildir mail again from an Emacs launched with
> "emacs -Q", and got the same result.
>
> I'm completely mystified.  Any help anyone can offer would be greatly
> appreciated.

Have you considered using IMAP to access Maildir(s)?

I use "IMAP over STDIN/STDOUT" provided by Dovecot-IMAP to access (also)
Maildirs in my home directory. Such access is also supported by
evolution MUA. In such configuration other MUA(s) can access your mails
via tcp IMAP connection to local IMAP server.

You get "sieve sorting of incoming mail" as extra benefit.

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@onet.eu : Andrzej.Filip@gmail.com
"Love is an ideal thing, marriage a real thing; a confusion of the real with