persistent articles weirdness

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: persistent articles weirdness
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:44:53 -0000

Hello,

I'm using persistent articles to store some interesting stuffs.

But there're a couple of strange things that happened when I try to
read these articles later.

First sometimes (actually this happens quite often) something in gnus
internal get corrupted and gnus get stuck trying to display the
summary buffer. The cpu usage is at 100%. Funny enough, the authors of
gnus know that this (bug) exists and offered some commands to fix it:

  - M-x gnus-cache-generate-nov-databases
  - M-x gnus-cache-generate-active

One more thing to add: this happens during regular uses of gnus,
nothing bad happen like sudden power off. So it looks like gnus has
some bugs and some user commands to fix them...

The other thing is that once the databases is fixed with the above
commands, it takes a while to gnus to display the summary buffer of a
group of cached articles. Fox example, I have a group which contains
1260 cached/persistent articles and it takes more than 35 seconds to
display all of them in a threaded view. Since all articles are stored
locally could anybody why is it so long ?

Thanks