Re: Teared threads

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Teared threads
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:44:11 -0000

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 13:57:44 -0700 Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> wrote:

MH> I've set up gnus successfully (or so it seems), but I can't seem to get
MH> rid of teared threads completely.

MH> When I first start gnus, everything looks fine, and *all* messages of a
MH> thread are displayed in the summary buffer.  But after that, every time
MH> new messages are displayed, only unread ones are displayed, resulting in
MH> teared threads.

MH> I have the following line in my .gnus.el (from Question 4.1 on
MH> http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_400.html#SEC477):

MH> (setq gnus-fetch-old-headers 'some)

MH> but that doesn't do the trick.  When reading a message, hitting A T
MH> works, i.e. gnus downloads the older messages in the thread.

MH> What am I doing wrong?

Nothing, Gnus is designed not to get all old articles that could
possibly interest you.  So either use `A T' or the quicker `^' to
retrieve just the parent, or you'll need custom functionality written
(something that looks at all the articles and basically does `A T' on
each one when you enter a group).  This will be VERY slow on most
servers.  You can try the gnus-registry to speed up some parts of this,
at least, but it's just not necessary in most cases.

Why do you need to see old messages?  Do you want the visual thread
(what does it do for you?) or do you just consult them occasionally?

Ted