Gnus ignores changes to aliases in .mailrc

From: Joe Fineman
Subject: Gnus ignores changes to aliases in .mailrc
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:43:36 -0000

I am running Gnus v5.10.10 under Emacs 22.3.1 under cygdrive under
Windows.

I used to have a line in my ~/.mailrc file that went

  alias fa "Bernd.Genser@uni-konstanz.de"

"fa " was expanded properly when entered on the To: line while
composing mail.  However, when I replaced that line with

  alias fa "shafik.hebous@mohr.de"

I continued to get the expansion "Bernd.Genser@uni-konstanz.de"
despite numerous restartings of Gnus, Emacs, and Windows.  Even
naming .mailrc away so that there was no .mailrc failed to get rid of
the old assignment of fa.  In desperation I inserted the new line

  alias finanz "shafik.hebous@mohr.de"

and that worked.  However, the continual temptation to use the old,
misbehaving alias is a nuisance.  Is there any way to redefine it or
at least get rid of it?

I recently made a minor correction to another alias in .mailrc, and,
sure enough, it also is ignored.
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  The human species is gregarious but not social.  :||