"No unread news": nntp with gnus-agent

From: Dan Davison
Subject: "No unread news": nntp with gnus-agent
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 09:10:55 +0100

I thought I'd investigate gnus-agent, now that I'm watching the download
limit on my mobile broadband account. However, I didn't get far.

In the server buffer I did "J a" on my eternal-september and gmane
servers. Then I went to the group buffer and did "g". It took a fairly
long time (downloading headers I assume). The counts in the group buffer
changed from a small number (count of new messages) to a large
number. However, now when I do RET or even C-u 10 RET on a
gmane/eternal-september group, it refuses to show me any articles,
saying "No unread news".

Perhaps I haven't understood how to use gnus-agent. What I'm aiming for
is the ability to read and re-read messages on a particular gmane group
without incurring fresh downloads every time I view a previously-read
message. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Dan

No Gnus v0.11

git HEAD is

commit 78e0c74ddc361719d8be1b4f3eb6e58fa17f8fdb
Author: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@quimbies.gnus.org>
Date:   Tue Sep 14 19:17:20 2010 +0200

GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.21.7) of 2010-09-15 on
Luscinia