Re: Q: Gnus and UTF-8

From: Andrzej Adam Filip
Subject: Re: Q: Gnus and UTF-8
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 22:21:04 +0100

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 09 2008, Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:
>
>> On Gnus, can we read/write multi-bytes characters as like Chinese,
>> Japanese, Korean?  That's important to me for moving MUA.
>
> Gnus' support for UTF-8 basically is as good as the one of the
> underlying Emacs version.
>
> So when using Emacs 22.3 should be sufficient (I don't use CJK myself,
> so I might be not aware of specific problems in this area).
>
> Bye, Reiner.

I remember one problem with "out of the box" emacs on Debian Linux:
The font selected by default had insufficient coverage of "strange"
characters [ In my case it were Cyrillic (Russian) characters ]

AFAIR I had been advised to select font with better "coverage":
(set-default-font "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-15-*-*-*-c-80-iso10646-1")

P.S.
Gnus should work with UTF-8 but you my find that a few *small*
configuration fixes are required. Try to use it and report here
eventual problems.

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@onet.eu : anfi@xl.wp.pl
The grave's a fine and private place,