Re: Move a group of email messages

From: era eriksson
Subject: Re: Move a group of email messages
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 09:24:24 +0000 (UTC)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane <at> imap.cc> writes:
> On Sat, Nov 01 2008, Teemu Likonen wrote:
> > Is it possible to save multiple marked messages to a single Unix
> > mbox file without being asked about the destination file for each
> > message separately?
>
> This is explained in the manual in the node describing (C-o)
> `gnus-summary-save-article-mail':
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Saving Articles") ]
> |    All these commands use the process/prefix convention (*note
> | Process/Prefix::).  If you save bunches of articles using these
> | functions, you might get tired of being prompted for files to save each
> | and every article in.  The prompting action is controlled by the
> | `gnus-prompt-before-saving' variable, which is `always' by default,
> | giving you that excessive prompting action you know and loathe.  If you
> | set this variable to `t' instead, you'll be prompted just once for each
> | series of articles you save.  If you like to really have Gnus do all
> | your thinking for you, you can even set this variable to `nil', which
> | means that you will never be prompted for files to save articles in.
> | Gnus will simply save all the articles in the default files.
> `----

This just bit me as well.  It really sucks that the docstring for C-o fails to
mention this.  Could it be fixed to mention this?  It's currently misleading --
I spent a while trying to figure out how to pass an explicit `nil' prefix arg,
only to find that it didn't help at all.

(Looks like this is refactored in the current trunk?)

/* era */

--
If this were a real .signature, it would suck less.  Well, maybe not.