Re: Processing HTML Emails

From: Charles philip Chan
Subject: Re: Processing HTML Emails
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:27:44 -0500

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> If I click on a link, firefox does launch but won't show the correct
> page.  If I launch firefox from the command-line and give it a URL, it
> works.  Is there something I'm missing about getting the URL passed to
> firefox when executed from gnus?

Strange that this:

,----
| (setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-firefox
|           browse-url-new-window-flag  t
|           browse-url-firefox-new-window-is-tab t)
`----

doesn't work for you. However, I haven't using XEmacs fro a long time-
maybe somthing is different from Emacs. Can you unset the firefox lines
in you init file and try using the browse-url option from one of the
menus (I can't remember which one now, probably "Options" or something
like that) to see if it works.

> You find emacs-w3m better than w3?

Yes, emacs-w3m which is a Emacs frontend to w3m which is about 20x
faster than the slow lisp based w3. Also w3 tend to choke on more
complex pages. emacs-w3m also have this nice feature
"w3m-view-url-with-external-browser" (bound to "M") which will open the
page up in an external browser like firefox.

Charles