Setting up an ssl smtp server

From: someusernamehere
Subject: Setting up an ssl smtp server
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:31:53 -0700

This is the question, on thunderbird works fine with the following
configuration:

smtp server: foo.bar.com
Conection type: SSL (which write automatically the port 465 instead
25)
server require autentication: yes
user: bleh

How can I do this in gnus??, I have tried the following:

                 (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
                            smtpmail-default-smtp-server
"foo.bar.com")
                            message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-
it)
                            smtpmail-auth-credentials "~/emacs-stuff/
mailauth-foo")
                            smtpmail-starttls-credentials
'(("foo.bar.com" "465" nil nil)))
                            smtpmail-smtp-server "foo.bar.com"))

but doesnt works, I get this in the backtrce:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Sending failed; SMTP protocol
error")
  signal(error ("Sending failed; SMTP protocol error"))
  error("Sending failed; SMTP protocol error")
  smtpmail-send-it()
  #[nil " ‡" [message-send-mail-function] 1]()
  gnus-agent-send-mail()
  message-send-mail(nil)
  message-send-via-mail(nil)
  message-send(nil)
  message-send-and-exit(nil)
  call-interactively(message-send-and-exit)

anyone?, thanks