Re: GNUS from emacs to xemacs

From: David Z Maze
Subject: Re: GNUS from emacs to xemacs
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 11:14:31 -0400

Frank Fredstone <none@not.no> writes:

>> Can I safely switch from GNU emacs with GNUS 5.11 to XEmacs with GNUS
>> 5.10.2? Meaning, can I simply start up XEmacs and use GNUS without
>> changing my .gnus.el etc.?
>
> There seem to be no problems so far.
>
> Weird the FAQ says there is no GNUS 5.11, but that is what I get using
> the GNU emacs from cvs.

That's not actually surprising.  There are three versions of Gnus: the
named "alpha" versions ((ding), September, ..., No), the even-numbered
"beta" versions (5.2.x, 5.4.x, ..., 5.10.x), and the odd-numbered
"release" versions (5.3, 5.5, ..., 5.9).  The reality is that the
"release" versions are the versions bundled with FSF Emacs, and (aside
from the version number) are generally identical to the last "beta"
version before that.  Also in general, the "beta" versions are pretty
good.

So I'd believe that if you're using a CVS Emacs, and they're gearing
up for a release, then they'll have taken a snapshot of Gnus 5.10.6
and rebranded it Gnus 5.11, which is perfectly normal.  I think
there'll be at least one more Gnus 5.10.x release; the CVS Emacs
version of Gnus might have some of those changes from CVS Gnus.

  --dzm
("cvs checkout: no ExtraCare card, aborting")