Re: how to remove groups entirely from .newsrc.eld file?

From: Sébastien Kirche
Subject: Re: how to remove groups entirely from .newsrc.eld file?
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 16:49:41 +0200

At 15:06 on Jun 8 2005, Gernot Hassenpflug said :

> Hello Sébastien, many thanks for your helpful reply. I did edit the
> .newsrc.eld file for the gnus-server-alist definition. Solved the
> problem.

Good. :)

If another gnus  power user is reading and knows  another mean that hand
editing the .newsrc.eld, I still would like to know...

> OK, now that that is clarified, I feel much better. I remember the
> days of .newsrc files that were simple multi-column lists of newsgroup
> names and article numbers. Things have gotten more complex!

There is still  a .newsrc with such data. But i  always seen it together
with .newsrc.eld (I am a rather new gnus user : around 2 years...).

> > > Is there a recommended method for keeping mail safely organized
> > > (easy to overview in the .gnus.el file, for example, not so
> > > easy if you don't know where on disk(s) your groups were
> > > located if you have to try and look for them again), and can I
> > > move stuff that is created with G D into my .gnus.el file?
>
> Sébastien> Maybe you can do like me for some settings : looking in
> Sébastien> the .newsrc.eld for the parameters that gnus set and
> Sébastien> copying them to the .gnus to keep them in case of
> Sébastien> future reuse. I used to see that those settings are
> Sébastien> ignored from the .gnus if they are also present in the

I should rather say  : «those settings seem ignored if» as  it is what I
noticed while  experimenting, but  it is only  my opinion, not  a strong
affirmation...

> Sébastien> .newsrc.eld (so you have to remove them from
> Sébastien> .newsrc.eld before they are taken into account if you
> Sébastien> modify the .gnus definition).
>
> OK, that sounds good to me. I'll give that a try. I've gained new
> respect for the .newsrc.eld file, and back it up regularly too, in
> case of accidental clearing.

Yep. Loosing groups  subscriptions is not that terrible,  but by loosing
or corrupting the .newsrc.eld you  can also loose the marked articles or
the groups parameters that is much more annoying (already tested :/)

--
Sébastien Kirche