Re: disk full <-> Gnus fetching mail

From: Patrick Drechsler
Subject: Re: disk full <-> Gnus fetching mail
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 07:53:52 +0200

Bruno Hertz wrote on 14 Apr 2005 01:25:27 MET:

> Patrick Drechsler <patrick@pdrechsler.de> writes:
>
>> which files can I delete without running into too much trouble
>> after running into one of those `end of file during parsing
>> errors'?
>>
>> Using the agent, my candidates are:
>>
>> ~/News/agent/nnimap/.agent*
>> ~/News/agent/nnimap/.overview*
>> ~/.newsrc*
>>
>> Background: Gnus is always active (fetching Mails/NG every
>> 10-30 min). If I fill the rest of the free space on my HD with
>> data (the command `df' on unix will show 0) during that time
>> Gnus will screw up one of the files above. Resulting in the
>> End-of-file-during-parsing-error... somewhere ...
>>
>> Since my mails are on an IMAP-server I know that nothing is
>> lost (except for marking).
>>
>> Are there further files to include in a potential
>> clean-up-after-disk-is-full script (it has taken me quite some
>> time to find ~/News.agent* with filesize *0k*. Deleting it
>> solved my problem. Finding it took quite a lot of time)?
>
> First: don't delete .newsrc.eld (!)

Since I have a daily backup I would only lose marks of a few
hours.

> Second: I don't really understand what your purpose is - remove
> possibly corrupted files

Sorry for not being clear: This is what I am after.

> If the former, I frankly don't know how to recognize corrupted
> files other than examine them one by one and see whether they
> look 'good'.

Ok. I will have to find corrupted files manually then.

[...further tipps on saving disk space...]

Thanks for your feedback Bruno!

Cheers

Patrick
--
Computers are good at following instructions,
but not at reading your mind.        -- Donald Knuth