new articles in a thread - how to auto-expand the thread?

From: Peter Petersen
Subject: new articles in a thread - how to auto-expand the thread?
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:53:37 +0200

Hi,

Something that I wondered for quite some time now:

How can I make Gnus automatically expand an otherwise collapsed thread
(with let's say 4 articles) when another, new, fifth article arrives.

The intention is clear:
I would like to easily see (when entering the group buffers) where the
new articles have gone, and especially whether there have been replies
to my own posts in a long, but collapsed thread.

With Forte Agent an existing thread has the colour "blue" when all its
articles have been seen or marked read, and as most of us know, read and
unread articles are always visible when entering a group.
When this thread gets new articles (be it one or more) the colour turns
from "blue" to "red", even if the thread still remains collapsed.

So how could one make Gnus behave in a comparable way?
- either by having the thread collapsed, but see a different font or
colour
or
- (as I asked above) have Gnus automatically expand the thread

By the way, this is a reply from Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen to a similar
question:

****
> This also occurs if, say, I've marked a message unread, then get a
> reply to it.  The summary buffer appears to have no new unread
> messages and I expand all threads to find the new message.

There is no function to unhide threads based on what they contain, I'm
afraid.
****

But this was in 1997.
I could imagine, things have improved here since that time...?

really hoping for answers
thanks

Peter