Re: thanks, but new problem: utf-8 on a virtual text console

From: Peter Petersen
Subject: Re: thanks, but new problem: utf-8 on a virtual text console
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 23:47:39 +0200

* TeXitoi <texitoi@NOSPAMtexitoi.homelinux.org> schrieb:

> Peter Petersen <ppetersen@despammed.com> writes:
>
>> With my utf-8 settings for using gnus with gnome-terminal, I get a
>> complete mess when running emacs or gnus in a virtual text
>> console. Somehow I can't get it to use utf-8. If someone knows about a
>> way to change this or - alternatively - can tell me how to write an
>> entry in .emacs to switch between coding systems if emacs is used on a
>> text console in contrast to a terminal under X Window, please let me
>> know.
>
> I supose that your problem is about typing non-ascii charactere. I'd
> the problem for typing, but not for display (display depend of your
> local). To input, I have that in my .emacs :
>
> (if (not (eq window-system 'x))
>     (cond ((string-match ".UTF-8" (getenv "LANG"))
>            (set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8))
>           ((string-match "@euro" (getenv "LANG"))
>            (set-keyboard-coding-system 'latin-0))
>           (t (set-keyboard-coding-system 'latin-1))))
>
> you can adapt that to yours needs.

Ok thanks, but I don't get any further.
And: I am not using "window system" anyway, when running emacs from
within a gnome-terminal, right...?

Due to my lack of knowledge about these things, I use that ugly command
line, called as a bash script, of course:

LC_ALL=de_DE.UTF-8@euro gnome-terminal -e "emacs -nw --eval
'(xterm-mouse-mode 1)' -f gnus-unplugged "$@"" || emacs -nw --eval
"(set-terminal-coding-system 'latin-9)" --eval "(set-keyboard-codin
g-system 'latin-9)" --eval '(xterm-mouse-mode 1)' -f gnus-unplugged
"$@"

Sure, this looks _very_ amateurish. :)
But it works sufficiently, which, as you can see, gives me full utf-8
support when running emacs/gnus in a gnome-terminal when in X, while
giving me iso-8859-1 support when running emacs/gnus in a virtual text
console.

By support I mean: support for typing _and_ getting displayed Umlaute,
euro signs etc.

Naturally, suggestions for improvements, or rather, "professional" and
not that dilletantish solutions are always very welcome. ;-)

Regards
Peter