trouble with emacs -nw -f gnus and character sets

From: Peter Petersen
Subject: trouble with emacs -nw -f gnus and character sets
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 23:24:06 +0200

* Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net> schrieb:

>  Ar an chéad lá is fiche de mí Márta, scríobh Peter Petersen:
>
>  > If I just launch gnome-terminal (with the same font "bitstream vera sans
>  > mono") I do have all the German characters, the same is true if I launch
>  > emacs from within a text console or from within an xterm.
>  >
>  > What could I do to find out where the problem is? (launching emacs from
>  > within gnome-terminal and losing all the non-ascii characters)
>
> You need to work out what character encoding gnome-terminal is using, and
> then run M-x set-terminal-coding-system RET iso-8859-1 RET, for
> example. It’ll be either that or utf-8. Once you’ve worked out which is
> right, add
>
> (set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
>
> to your ~/.emacs.

Hello and sorry for replying to an "old" post, but...

I still have lots of trouble when using gnus from within a terminal
program, such as "gnome-terminal".

I am able to write the euro sign and to see the euro sign in other
people's posts. By the way: Is this an euro sign? € € €

I also see Umlaute, äöü and other special characters: ß éèêñ
I am able to write them, and hopefully they can be seen correctly by
others.

But your posts, Aidan, don't show up correctly here. You should see some
of the problems in my quoting you: Apostrophes are not displayed as they
should, instead I see them as question marks. Must be due to your using
utf-8.

But after searching google for hours, I feel completely lost.
What could I do to see other people's posts correctly, regardless
whether they use iso-8859-1, iso-8859-15 or utf-8 (those that appear to
be most important to me).

This is with Emacs 21.3.1 and Gnus 5.10.6 - running via emacs -nw, in a
terminal window.

When I use the "graphical" Emacs (instead of emacs -nw) your posts are
all right, Aidan.

So where could I look in order to solve that nasty problem?

As I already wrote before, I have to set TERM=linux in order to be able
to write the euro sign and Umlaute. I have set gnome-terminal to
iso-8859-1 (and also to utf-8), but this is not enough to solve the
issue.

Please help me here, Aidan or some other expert like Reiner Steib. :-)

many thanks
Peter