Re: ancient articles

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: ancient articles
Date: 04 Apr 2005 11:04:55 +0100

  Reiner> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Read Articles") ] | `O' | Articles that
  Reiner> were marked as read in previous sessions and are now | "old"
  Reiner> (`gnus-ancient-mark'). `----

  Adam> [...]

  >> Do you have any idea why they appear though? I am trying to
  >> determine if there is any specific semantics to being ancient.

  Adam> I may be misreading you, but are you merely asking what the
  Adam> 'O' mark means? I.e. the conditions necessary for an article
  Adam> to be considered ancient?

  Adam> If so, the answer is right there in the info-node that Reiner
  Adam> Steib quoted: an article is ancient if it has been marked read
  Adam> in a previous session (not the current session). Simple as
  Adam> that.

  Adam> Sorry if I misunderstood you and the above was obvious.

Then I don't understand what is happening.

I use auto-expiry on my main mail box, moving stuff to an old mail box
after 30 days.

If I look at my mail box now, I have a pile of messages marked as "O",
then a set of messages marked as "!" (ticked, which I have marked so
that they stay around). And then messages marked as "E" or "EA".

If I look at the dates, those marked E (expired) are all less than 30
days old. The ones marked as "O" can be much older. They are certainly
not all of my old mail messages, most of which have expired correctly.

None of which seems to relate to messages read in previous sessions
(presumably a session being an gnus/emacs restart).

Cheers

Phil