POP Mail Source Error

From: Scot Johnson
Subject: POP Mail Source Error
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:21:19 GMT

I'm using gnus 5.10.6, with xemacs 21.4.15, on Mac OS 10.3.6.

I've been using gnus successfully for a couple of months but in the
last couple of days I've developed the following error when getting
new mail:

Mail source (pop :server xxx.xxx.xxx :user xxx) error (). Continue ?
(yes or no).

Typing "yes" I'm able to continue to get my newsgroups
and my other email account (an IMAP account).

Here's the portion of my .gnus file relative to the nnml backend:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))
(setq mail-sources '((pop :server "xxx.xxx.xxx"
                          :user "xxxx")))

I've googled on "mail source error" and haven't found anything exactly
like my problem. Also, I'm able to get mail from this POP
account with other mail clients, e.g. Pine.

I also looked through the gnus manual and FAQ (admittedly rather
quickly) and didn't see anything exactly like this either.

It's kind of strange to me that this set-up worked well for quite a
while and suddenly I have problems. Any tips for fixing this problem
would be great. Thanks.

--
Scot -  Proud member of the reality-based community.