Re: fetching news from localhost takes a long time

From: Neil Woods
Subject: Re: fetching news from localhost takes a long time
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 04:30:23 +0000

On Wed, Nov 03 2004, Al Arduengo wrote:
> I use leafnode and gnus 5.10.6.  For some reason I cannot seem to
> ascertain when I press 'g' in the group buffer, it takes about 10
> seconds to fetch and process new news no matter the volume.  I would
> expect it to take only a few seconds since it is coming from the local
> spool. I set check-new-newsgroups to nil and read-active-file to nil.
> Is there a way to speed things up or determine where the delay is
> being encountered?  Knode is quicker by far.  So is Pan.
>
> 256M on a 12G HDD with 5G available.  Thinkpad A20M 700MHz processor.

This is a known issue with Gnus 5.10.6, discussed here:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/56080

Fortunatly, recent CVS versions of Gnus have fixed this. You can check
out this branch with:

cvs -z3 -d :pserver:gnus@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot co -r v5-10 gnus

or, if you are using Debian, is now available in the latest builds
available in the unstable dist.

Another thing. If you've set gnus-fetch-old-headers to t (which I do),
this can considerably slow things down (though it's usefulness far
outweighs this, IMHO).

--
Neil