Re: Problems with mule-ucs and Gnus

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Problems with mule-ucs and Gnus
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:29:08 +0900

> Markus Brueckner <news@slash-me.net> writes:

>> I've been using Gnus for about 1 week now and until now I really
>> satisfied except for one thing: I cannot read UTF8 encoded messages. To
>> do so I installed mule-ucs and put the following in my
>> ~/.xemacs/custom.el:

> I'd switch to Emacs, there all this stuff unicode and mule stuff works
> much better IMO.

I'd swithed to Emacs too.  ;-)
I confirmed XEmacs 21.4.15 works with Mule-UCS, so upgrading
XEmacs may help.  However, there are known problems:

The utf-8 coding system doesn't convert CRLF to LF even though
other native coding systems do so.

(decode-coding-string "foo\r\n" 'utf-8)
 => "foo\r\n"
(decode-coding-string "foo\r\n" 'iso-8859-1)
 => "foo\n"

Encoding of the string exceeding a certain length goes wrong.

(let ((str (make-string 171
                        (make-char 'japanese-jisx0208 36 34))))
  (string-equal str (decode-coding-string
                     (encode-coding-string str 'utf-8)
                     'utf-8)))
 => nil

Furthermore, there are two unicode.el modulues in XEmacs 21.5.
One is in the XEmacs core, the other is in Mule-UCS.  Those may
conflict.

For those reasons, I don't recommend use of XEmacs.