Re: Question about using imap with gnus

From: Henry S. Greenside
Subject: Re: Question about using imap with gnus
Date: 16 Aug 2004 21:58:07 -0400

Randy Yates <randy.yates@sonyericsson.com> writes:

> I use this:
>
> (setq mail-sources '((imap :server "myserver.net"
> :port 143  :user "myusername" :password "mypassword")))
>
> which works fine with MS Exchange Server.

Thanks for your reply.

I just tried your code with the one difference of adding
an ssl stream (since all email access on the Duke imap
servers is through ssl):

   (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnfolder "")))
   (setq mail-sources '((imap :server "mail.phy.duke.edu"
        :port 993 :user "hsg" :stream ssl)))

When I invoke gnus and after imap asks for my password,
I get this error message:

   error in process filter: Internal error, tag 5
   status BAD code nil text Bogus attribute list in UID
   Fetch

I unfortunately have no idea what this means in terms
of what is not working. Also the integer after the word
tag starts to increment to 6 then 7 through 10 before
the error message disappeared and returned me to the
guns screen.

Also, I wanted to try using imap as a real imap server
rather than in pop or rmail style where the mail is
downloaded to a local file and then deleted from the
mail server. My original try was this

   (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
         '((nnfolder "")(nnimap ""
          (nnimap-address "mail.phy.duke.edu")
          (nnimap-stream ssl)
          (nnimap-server-port 993)
          (nnimap-list-pattern ("~/Mail/*")))))

This worked (imap was able to detect my old mail groups
and connect) except that I couldn't find any group like
mbox or INBOX that contained the current mail. Would
still be interested if someone could tell me what group
to use when trying to use imap as it is intended to be
used.

    Thanks,

    Henry