IMAP/SSL authentication problem?

From: Neil Woods
Subject: IMAP/SSL authentication problem?
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 02:57:30 +0100

I believe I've set up things correctly to access my IMAP account at
fastmail.fm. However, I'm not sure if the connection is a secure one.

This is my setup:

(setq imap-log t)
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnimap "FastMail.FM"
                      (nnimap-address "www.fastmail.fm")
                      (nnimap-stream ssl)
                      (nnimap-expunge-on-close ask)))

My ~/.authinfo contains the correct authentication line.

Here's some relevant lines from *imap-log*:

verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate
verify return:1
verify error:num=27:certificate not trusted
verify return:1
verify error:num=21:unable to verify the first certificate
verify return:1
* OK IMAP4 Ready www.fastmail.fm 00020753
25 LOGIN "xxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx" "xxxxxxx"
25 OK LOGIN Welcome
26 STATUS "INBOX" (uidvalidity uidnext unseen)
* STATUS INBOX (UIDNEXT 5 UIDVALIDITY 1092014439 UNSEEN 2)
26 OK Completed

And a message appears saying "imap: Plaintext authentication"

Does this indicate that my username/password could be sniffed?

The network connection is established on port 993, and openssl appears
to be running ok. The IMAP server on fastmail.fm is Cyrus (v. 2.3).

Thanks.

--