info-gnu

GNU Linux-libre 3.15-gnu is now available

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: GNU Linux-libre 3.15-gnu is now available
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 18:19:19 -0300

On Jun  8, 2014, Alexandre Oliva <address@hidden> wrote:

> So...  Because of nearly-catastrophic disk failures I faced back in
> March, just before LibrePlanet, my digital life turned into a mess.
> Things are slowly falling back in place again and getting back on track,
> fortunately not too late for the upcoming GNU Linux-libre 3.15-gnu to
> ship on the right date (probably today or tomorrow).

> To that end, today I updated the deblobbing scripts to deal with the
> 3.15 series, and pushed 3.15-rc8-gnu out.  I'm afraid that's without the
> blobhush infrastructure I posted about a while ago.  I still have a ton
> of Real Work (TM) catching up to do before I can go back to it :-(

> If you find any problems in 3.15-rc8-gnu, please let me know ASAP ;-)

... otherwise it will likely be too late.  As anticipated, 3.15 was
released upstream earlier today, and the scripts I updated yesterday
have now done their job: 3.15-gnu sources are now available at
http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/ and shortly on mirrors too.

Expect ready-to-use binary builds for various targets in the next few
days.  For up-to-the-minute news, join us on #linux-libre of irc.gnu.org
(Freenode), or follow me (@lxoliva) on Twister <http://twister.net.co/>
or pump.io <http://identi.ca/lxoliva/>.

Be Free! with GNU Linux-libre.

WHAT IS GNU Linux-libre?

  GNU Linux-libre is a Free version of the kernel Linux (see below),
  suitable for use with the GNU Operating System in 100% Free
  GNU/Linux-libre System Distributions.
  http://www.gnu.org/distros/

  It removes non-Free components from Linux, that are disguised as
  source code or distributed in separate files.  It also disables
  run-time requests for non-Free components, shipped separately or as
  part of Linux, and documentation pointing to them, so as to avoid
  (Free-)baiting users into the trap of non-Free Software.
  http://www.fsfla.org/anuncio/2010-11-Linux-2.6.36-libre-debait

  Linux-libre started within the gNewSense GNU/Linux distribution.
  It was later adopted by Jeff Moe, who coined its name, and in 2008
  it became a project maintained by FSF Latin America.  In 2012, it
  became part of the GNU Project.

  The GNU Linux-libre project takes a minimal-changes approach to
  cleaning up Linux, making no effort to substitute components that
  need to be removed with functionally equivalent Free ones.
  Nevertheless, we encourage and support efforts towards doing so.
  http://libreplanet.org/wiki/LinuxLibre:Devices_that_require_non-free_firmware

  Our mascot is Freedo, a light-blue penguin that has just come out
  of the shower.  Although we like penguins, GNU is a much greater
  contribution to the entire system, so its mascot deserves more
  promotion.  See our web page for their images.
  http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/

WHAT IS LINUX?

  Linux is a clone of the Unix kernel [...]

(snipped from the README in the source distribution of GNU Linux-libre)

Free Software Evangelist|Red Hat Brasil GNU Toolchain Engineer