info-gnu

MediaGoblin 0.3.2: Goblinverse

From: Deb Nicholson
Subject: MediaGoblin 0.3.2: Goblinverse
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 14:20:24 -0500

***Media Goblin is a GNU project. We're building an AGPL-licensed
federated multi-media hosting platform. Find out more here,
http://mediagoblin.org/ or check out the code repository here,
http://gitorious.org/mediagoblin/mediagoblin Or swing by to say hi in
#mediagoblin on freenode.net

Things are starting to get back to normal around here. After the
tremendous outpouring of support you showed us during the fundraising
campaign (http://mediagoblin.org/pages/campaign.html) we were a bit
winded. There are still stickers and goodies to mail out (we haven't
forgotten!) but we also found time to push out one final 2012 release.
A few things had been teetering on the edge of finished and a few
things needed to get smoothed out to pave the way for a fantastic
2013.

We've blogged about this, we've collared people at holiday parties,
we've done everything but make a Gangnam Style parody video about
it... but in case you haven't heard, you can now upload 3d models to
MediaGoblin, whoo! This means you can build your own
free-as-in-freedom Thingiverse replacement and start printing out
objects. We support the sharing of STL and OBJ files. MediaGoblin can
also call on Blender (http://www.blender.org/) to create nice image
previews during upload. Or if you prefer, you can use javascripts to
display live 3d previews in webgl-enabled browsers. Thanks again to
Lulzbot for sponsoring this exciting advancement in MediaGoblin's
offerings!

We really want 2013 to be the year of the MediaGoblin plugin. We made
it possible for plugins to include their own models. We also have a
working API, which means there is a nice standard way for you to hook
your extensions to MediaGoblin. You can also go the other way and use
webhooks or callbacks to make it easier to connect MediaGoblin into
other applications. This makes it possible to start on applications
for submitting media from all different types of devices. We've
enabled OAuth support so that MediaGoblin will be able to securely
talk to other sources -- like phones or other applications -- whatever
you like.  Want to learn more? Joar has built some cool demo
applications you can check out:
automgtic(https://github.com/joar/automgtic) an automatic media
uploader for your desktop and OMGMG (https://github.com/joar/omgmg) an
example of a web application hooking up to the API.

Speaking of phones, there is now an Android client in the works!
(https://gitorious.org/mediagoblin/mediagoblin-android) Call us,
maybe?

We've also continued making things nicer for the user at home. It's
now easier than ever to organize your MediaGoblin account. We've built
in collections, so you can group media you like into your own curated
galleries. The thumbnail display is now a bit cleaner. We also tidied
up the HTML output in general by optimizing the way whitespace gets
trimmed. Lastly, Geolocation and OpenStreetMap support is now on by
default. We've even tweaked the OpenStreetMap license menu to make it
more intuitive.

Thank you to everyone who helped us write code, raise money, test
features, create swag or offered opinions! We are so glad that we got
a chance to work with you in 2012 and are very much looking forward to
the challenges and achievements that 2013 will bring. Thanks to
MediaGoblin contributors who worked on this release: Aaron Williamson,
Aeva Ntsc, Christopher Allan Webber, Duncan Paterson, Deb Nicholson,
Elrond of Samba TNG, Jef van Schendel, Joar Wandborg, Emily O'Leary,
Nathan Yergler, Sebastian Spaeth, Kuno Woudt, and Will Kahn-Greene!
And special thanks to Morgan Lemmer-Webber for doing a lot of work to
help us coordinate rewards stuff and the Free Software Foundation for
hosting and promoting our fundraising campaign! (By the way... they're
currently running a fundraising campaign of their own... please
donate! (https://my.fsf.org/associate/support_freedom)

Want to join the party in 2013? We'd love to have you! Visit us on
IRC, it's #mediagoblin on freenode.net Join the mailing list
(http://lists.mediagoblin.org/listinfo/devel) or email us your
thoughts and questions at address@hidden

By the way, another version of this release announcement is available
with screenshots here,
http://mediagoblin.org/news/mediagoblin-0.3.2-goblinverse.html