info-gnu

wdiff 1.1.0 released

From: Martin von Gagern
Subject: wdiff 1.1.0 released
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 18:49:26 +0100

Dear reader,

I'm happy to announce the release of wdiff 1.1.0.

Translations can now make use of plural forms. While this means a
drastic improvement for some languages, it may also mean that some
languages for which no such plural forms are available yet might be
lacking user visible message strings, not only error messages, but also
for e.g. statistics. You might want to check the translation status if
your users have problems with English.

Other changes center around the use of pagers. We no longer auto-detect
whether the output pager is less. If it is, it will now receive its
arguments from the environment, not the command line. As we now pass
console control sequences to less, instead of some simulated
overstriking, it should be better at handling multibyte encodings like
UTF-8. This hopefully fixes bug #34224. The old "--less-mode" is still
available if explicitely selected.

The test suite used to test pagers had some portability problems,
causing the tests (particularly the one using screen) to fail. This
should be fixed now. If you encounter any errors, please contact the
developers or file a bug report on Savannah.

https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=7026 is the official
location of the release announcement, in case you want a URL to cite.

GNU wdiff is a front end to diff for comparing files on a word per word
basis. A word is anything between whitespace. This is useful for
comparing two texts in which a few words have been changed and for which
paragraphs have been refilled. It works by creating two temporary files,
one word per line, and then executes diff on these files. It collects
the diff output and uses it to produce a nicer display of word
differences between the original files.

Greetings,
 Martin von Gagern