info-gnu

GNU libmicrohttpd 0.3.0 released

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: GNU libmicrohttpd 0.3.0 released
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 10:54:51 -0600

Dear all,

libmicrohttpd was recently became a GNU package, and we just made a fresh
release.

About libmicrohttpd
=============

GNU libmicrohttpd is a small C library that is supposed to make it easy to run
an embedded HTTP server as part of another application. Key features that
distinguish libmicrohttpd from other projects are:

* C library: fast and small
* API is simple, expressive and fully reentrant
* Implementation is http 1.1 compliant (also works for http 1.0)
* HTTP server can listen on multiple ports
* Support for IPv6
* Support for incremental processing of POST data
* Creates binary of only about 25k (for now)
* Three different threading models

libmicrohttpd was started because we needed an easy way to add a concurrent
HTTP server to GNUnet. Existing alternatives were either non-free, not
reentrant, standalone, of terrible code quality or a combination thereof. You
most likely do not want to use libmicrohttpd if you are looking for a
standalone http server, there are many other projects out there that provide
that kind of functionality already. However, if you want to be able to serve
simple WWW pages from within your C or C++ application and need a library,
libmicrohttpd hopefully works for you.  libmicrohttpd currently does not
include support for HTTPS, but we hope to add (optional) support for
encryption in the near future.

What is new?
========

For those using older versions, the 0.3.0 release updates the documentation
and adds a new up-to-date texinfo manual. It also also resolves some issues
with handling of malformed HTTP requests and adds testcases to test malformed
HTTP requests. Finally, libmicrohttpd now generates an "internal server
error" if the programmer incorrectly fails to incrementally handle upload
data.

More information