info-gnu

ANNOUNCE: GNU Image Manipulation Program 2.2.0

From: Sven Neumann
Subject: ANNOUNCE: GNU Image Manipulation Program 2.2.0
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 14:40:43 +0100

Hi,

the GIMP developers are proud to release version 2.2 of the GNU Image
Manipulation Program. About nine months after version 2.0 hit the
road, we have completed another development cycle and can bring a new
stable GIMP to our user's desktops.

About The GIMP

  The GNU Image Manipulation Program, the GIMP, is ideal for amateur
  photographers, web designers, and many other people who want to
  create and edit digital images. It is a very powerful application,
  with features including: channels, layers and masks; colour
  operations such as levels, curves and threshhold; advanced selection
  operations using intelligent scissors and selection channels; and
  much more.

  GIMP is free software, which means it can be freely distributed and
  modified. This makes it well suited to be included on cover disks of
  magazines dedicated to digital photography or image editing, or to
  be included with digital cameras, scanners, printers etc. As free
  software, its capabilities are ultimately limited only by the
  collective imagination of the community of free software
  contributors. More information about the GIMP is available at
  http://www.gimp.org

Download

  The GIMP can be downloaded as source code from ftp.gimp.org or from
  one of the mirrors listed at http://gimp.org/download.html. We
  expect that binary packages for the different supported platforms
  and distributions will show up soon. Unless you are experienced with
  building software from source, you should wait until binary packages
  become available.

Upgrading from GIMP 2.0

  Version 2.2 is an update on GIMP 2.0. GIMP 2.2 is fully backward
  compatible to GIMP 2.0. Plug-ins and scripts written for GIMP 2.0
  will continue to work and don't need to be changed nor recompiled to
  be used with GIMP 2.2.  We do however hope that plug-in authors will
  update their plug-ins for GIMP 2.2 and adapt the GUI changes we did
  with this version.

  GIMP 2.2 replaces GIMP 2.0. It is advised that you uninstall GIMP
  2.0 before installing GIMP 2.2. If you want to keep GIMP 2.0
  installed in parallel to GIMP 2.2, you have to choose a separate
  prefix which is not in your default library search path.

Help

  The GIMP user manual has been improved a lot over the last couple of
  months. We stronly suggest that you install the latest version of
  the gimp-help-2 package together with GIMP 2.2. You will then have
  context-sensitive help in almost all dialogs by hitting the F1 key
  or by pressing the Help button which has been added to most dialogs.

  gimp-help-2 is available from
  ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/help/testing/. The manual can also be
  accessed online at http://docs.gimp.org/.

Bugs

  Thanks to the pre-releases we did over the last month, this code has
  already seen quite some testing but a lot has changed since version
  GIMP 2.0 and we could very well have introduced new bugs. If you
  find any , make sure you report them at bugzilla.gnome.org (after
  checking that it isn't reported already).

What's New in GIMP 2.2

  We have collected a list of changes and new features in the GIMP
  Wiki. Please have a look at http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/WhatsNew2.

  For a detailed list of changes, please have a look at the NEWS file,
  which is contained in the tarball and available online at
  http://developer.gimp.org/NEWS.

What's Next

  You can expect updated versions of gimp-gap, gimp-freetype,
  gimp-plugin-template and hopefully also gimp-perl to appear over the
  next weeks. The GIMP source tree will soon be branched so that
  development can continue towards GIMP 2.4. We haven't yet made up a
  detailed roadmap, but we will try to publish one soon.

Lots of people have helped to make this release happen. Thanks to all
the contributors who wrote code, sent patches, worked on the docs,
translated the user interface, reported bugs or just made helpful
suggestions. GIMP 2.2 wouldn't exist without your help. Keep it coming!

Happy GIMPing, Sven