info-gnu-chess

Re: Gnuchess 5.07.6b

From: Simon Waters
Subject: Re: Gnuchess 5.07.6b
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 20:20:45 +0100

Michel Van den Bergh wrote:

> I just discovered that GNUChess apparently still has an active mailing
> list :-)

And a CVS repository with a couple of fixes since 5.07, and bug
reporting address.

> I would like to announce that I have made a number of important bugfixes
> and
> enhancements for GnuChess 5.07 and have  also made it more compliant
> with the
> xboard protocol (e.g. the recent memory command).
>
> See these threads on the Winboard forum
>
> http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50346
> http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50422

I haven't had a chance to look at Kirii's original bug report from August.

> The enhanced versions are here
>
> http://alpha.uhasselt.be/Research/Algebra/Toga/gnuchess-release/
>
> The biggest changes are in 5.07.1b. The subsequent versions are
> additional bug fixes.

I'll check the code, but the change log makes reference to false draw
claims in KNNK do you have details? As fairly sure the KNNK check was
improved in 2003-02-11 to avoid claiming draws when an immediate wins is
present KNNK (KNNK is a draw generally, 5.07 assumes it is a draw if it
isn't mate in one, at least that was the intent).