info-gnu-chess

Re: Save

From: meeso
Subject: Re: Save
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 02:07:28 +0200

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 05:46:35 -0800, Aidy wrote:

> I save a game in GNU chess (downloaded today). However when I try to
> open it, the GNUChess open-dialog does not see the file. I am on
> Win2000.
>
> Aidy

Ok then, I'm on Mandrake 9.2, I play it from Console, I do save like (for
example):

Black (14) : save

in the manpages which I found at:
http://www.rtr.com/winpak/Documentation/gnuchess.htm
it said I write the command "save" & the program will prompt the user for
a file name. but it just doesn't, it goes:

Invalid filename.

so I write "save blahblah"
It does save it but I dunno how to play it again, not a word in the
manpages. if I write "gnuchess blahblah" in the command line, I get a new
game. if I run gnuchess, then write blahblah after a game has started it
goes: "Illegal move: blahblah" !!!

How can I play a game which I saved ??? I have to know.

The file blahblah is saved & when I "cat" it, it says stuff like:

r1b2rk1/ppp2qb1/2n1p1pp/3pP3/3P1p2/2P2NP1/PPQN1PBP/4RRK1 b - - bm 1; id 1;
r1b2rk1/ppp2qb1/2n1p1pp/3pP3/3P1p2/2P2NP1/PPQN1PBP/4RRK1 b - - bm 1; id 1;

I have no clue what is this and I'm neither able nor brave enough to
attempt interpreting it! (I hope this is not detailed informations about
my .... what ever!)

Anyone could help, I've been trying to do that for a while but I just
can't seem to get to anything. Haven't turned off my computer for a
couple of days to keep gnuchess working with game I want to save! now I'm
gonna write the whole moves on paper with a pen (which I haven't used for
long now)... I also haven't slept for a couple of days because the fans of
my computer are soooo noisy!

Thanks to whomever helps in this humanistic trouble;
--
Maysara -- Egypt
www.fsf.org