info-global

For all GNU GLOBAL users who are using Ubuntu or Debian package.

From: Shigio YAMAGUCHI
Subject: For all GNU GLOBAL users who are using Ubuntu or Debian package.
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 07:17:56 +0900

Hello hackers,

If you install GNU GLOBAL from the package of Ubuntu or Debian,
I recommend you to install it from the latest source archive
global-6.2.4.tar.gz. You can get it from here:

        [http://www.gnu.org/software/global/download.html]

Because the GLOBAL of Ubuntu or Debian package is very old.
It is a thing of four years or more ago.

the latest version              6.2.4   May 30 2012
Ubuntu(Debian)'s version        5.7.1   April 21 2008

I regret that many GLOBAL users are continuing using an old
version because of the Ubuntu (debian) package.  It seems that
the maintainer won't update the package.

Since GLOBAL has very little dependence, installing source
archive is very easy. You don't need to use any package system.

GLOBAL-6.2.4 is far faster than 5.7.1, and many bugs are fixed.
Additionally, it has also many new functions like follows:

o Function layer built-in parser.
o Function layer plug-in parser.
o Integration with Cflow(htags).
o Allow a path name which includes blanks.
o Detect looped symbolic links(gtags).
o Auto completion in search form(htags).
o Dynamic file browser(htags).
o Server side GLOBAL (client/server mode).
o TRAMP support(emacs).
o Auto updating tag files(emacs, vim).
and etc,

Enjoy!

--
Shigio YAMAGUCHI <address@hidden>
PGP fingerprint: D1CB 0B89 B346 4AB6 5663  C4B6 3CA5 BBB3 57BE DDA3