info-edma

[Info-edma] [Announce] New release comming soon

From: David Martinez
Subject: [Info-edma] [Announce] New release comming soon
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:30:45 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of changes in GNU EDMA core and now, there are some
important diferences with the current 0.5.x version. New release'll be
numbered 0.7.x

Here are the more important changes, be free to make any comment:

* Finally the compilation/instalation process is done with autotools
        ./configure;make;make install
  configure.in need a lot of refinement, but for now it work on my RedHat

* Very important changes in the source tree. Probably I'll do a full
import to savannah CVS.

* Class Implementation file names have changed from:
        CLASS.dll to libCLASS.so

* System files have been moved to a more "standard" location.
  Here are the new locations:
        - /usr/local/lib: Class Implementation files and EDMA core
        - /usr/local/etc: edma32.cfg the class registry and sysdat32.cfg
        - /usr/local/share/edma/idf: IDF files
        - /usr/local/include: edma.h, portable.h.

* No more dlink* cdlink*. Now, apps links against libEDMA.so and classes
don't need any extra linking information.

* No more pPrimitives in applications, now you can use the same names for
applications and classes (use NewObj instead of pNewObj in your apps)

* New primitives to cast object up/down the class hierarchy

* Added abstract method support, so you don't need to provide a method
implementation for methods that will be overriden by subclasses

* Added basic static method support through new primitive SMet3. Example:
        SMet3 ("FILESYSTEM","CreateDirectory","/tmp/aaa");

* Added class callbacks OnLoad and Unload to workaround problem with _init
and libtool. OnLoad is equivalent to java general static blocks

* GNOME IDF Wizard and GNOME Class Borwser has been updated to work with
this all.

* More tests added

* Minor bug fixes

More or less these are the big changes. They still needs more testing and
a lot of classes must be updated to work with all these modifications. At
the moment, only a few ones are availables.

I hope this mimimal release will be in savannah CVS this weekend... but
I'm not sure. I'd like to restructure the most I can so I don't need to do
heavy changes like these.

I'll anounce the update in this list.

Regards
P.D.: Sorry for my poor english