[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Merge changes made in a branch of repository-1 to a branch in repository
Merge changes made in a branch of repository-1 to a branch in repository-2 ?
26 Jan 2003 11:08:35 -0000
I am a newbie to CVS and I don't know where to put my query in the
cvs mailing list. I guess this is the one I am looking for.
I have two repositories on a single system (just an internal
reason). Let's call them as rep-1 and rep-2. I have several
branches on both of them, and say one of them on rep-1 is
branch_A, and on rep-2 is branch_B.
I would like to merge changes made on either mainline of rep-1 or
branch_A to either mainline of rep-2 or branch_B. I tried this on
a file using -d option (Tell CVS the location of repository). It
looks, it does not work. Here is the set of commands for one
1. cvs -d <path_to_rep-1> checkout -r <rep-1_branch_A> <file>
2. make changes to file
3. cvs commit <file>
4. cvs -d <path_to_rep-2> checkout -r <rep-2_branch_B> <file>
5. make changes to file
6. Meanwhile several developers committed fixes to rep-1 branch_A.
I want to merge those fixes to rep-2 branch_B.
7. cvs -d <path_to_rep-1> update -j <rep-1_branch_A> <file>
I have couple of questions here. Can CVS help me with a solution
for this? Did someone work on this problem earlier? Is there any
tool ? Can I change CVS code locally to support the above
scenario, something like this : cvs update -j <branch_name> -tree
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
- Merge changes made in a branch of repository-1 to a branch in repository-2 ?,
MVR Raju <=