Re: [igraph] Interpretation of edge weights in the calculation of weight

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Interpretation of edge weights in the calculation of weighted diameter and weighted betweenness
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 10:30:45 +0200

My 'raw' adjacency matrices have as values these numbers of co-occurrences (as you say: the number of interactions) between each pair of birds. However for constructing my networks I do not use these absolute values (nr. of occurrences) as edge weights but a standardized value. This standardized value is actually the number of co-occurences 2 birds have divided by the sum of all co-occurrences both of these 2 birds had with other birds (including with each other) during that day.

In this case the weights behave very much like "probabilities" for a random walker that traverses the graph (the sum of weights of each outbound edge incident on a node is 1); your best bet is a measure that has an underlying random-walker-like assumption like eigenvector centrality or PageRank.