[igraph] Need for advice

From: Tom Backer Johnsen
Subject: [igraph] Need for advice
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 11:44:56 +0200

Gentlepersons.

I need some advice on handling a relatively large number of graphs in R.  What
I have is 128 graphs representing eight groups (each with 8 to 11 members) at
four times (repeats) where each subject was asked four types of questions.  In
addition there are 20 groups which based on the same sample, each with from 3
to 6 members, tested at four points in time with the same set of questions.
So, there are 448 different graphs.

It was a fairly complex matter of entering the data from the original forms
(the data are old, collected in 1967), so I have written a program in Lazarus
(a Pascal GUI interface) which takes care of checking and anonymization, where
the end product is (at present) a long text file containing the graphs in
iGraph matrix format.  Other formats are possible, that is a minor matter.
Each graph has a short descriptive name.

I would prefer to use parts of iGraph (possibly other SNA packages as well) to
analyse the structures using the R / RStudio interface.  I am quite used to
handle R, but have very limited experience with iGraph.

So:  Having to operate with 448 different files seems to be cumbersome, but of
course possible.  I would however prefer to have all the graphs in one
database/file.  I seem to remember having seen a reference to SQLite in this
list, but are there better/simpler alternatives?  How does one extract single
graphs from the database?  It would also be an advantage if the data base could
be generated by the program written in Lazarus / Free Pascal and then accessed
by R, but that transfer could be handled in several ways.

Any suggestions?

I am using a Mac OS X computer, where something like Wine may be installed to
be able to run Windows programs.

Tom Backer Johnsen
Email: backer(at)psych.uib.no