Re: [igraph] Python: how do I draw label directions on directed graphs?

From: Fintan Nagle
Subject: Re: [igraph] Python: how do I draw label directions on directed graphs?
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 09:34:21 +0000

Thanks very much Tamas,

Fintan

On 19 November 2013 22:03, Tamás Nepusz <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

IIRC edge labels are supported from igraph 0.7 onwards in the Python interface. Since the latest stable version is 0.6.5, you can try this only if you are willing to compile the development version of igraph from scratch (or wait a bit until we release igraph 0.7). Nevertheless, if you are running igraph 0.7, you can either assign a “label” attribute to the edges or use the edge_label=… keyword argument of the plot() function to specify the labels to be plotted for each edge. The graph drawer will automatically draw curved edges in the Python interface if there are multiple edges between the same pair of nodes and the total number of edges is less than 10000. So, for instance, this should work in python-igraph 0.7:

g = Graph.GRG(100, 0.2)
g.to_directed()
g.es[“label”] = [edge.index for edge in g.es]
plot(g)

The label placement is not perfect; igraph tries to figure out where to put the label based on the direction of the edge, but the curvature is not taken into account yet so the labels might be a bit off if the curve is too wide (which happens if the nodes being connected with a curved edge are far from each other in the plot).