Re: [igraph] python ig.Graph.multilevel_community

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] python ig.Graph.multilevel_community
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 23:09:32 +0200

Hi Lucio,

Sorry for the late reply. I went back to the revision of the code that was used
when igraph 0.6.5 was released and indeed you are right, there is a bug with
the weighted multilevel community detection code. I did not notice it because I
was accidentally using the development version where this was fixed already;
see the following commit:

https://github.com/igraph/igraph/commit/228dae0f88a22b76efb6bfd6be67e24d3097d376

You can either apply the patch manually on your copy of igraph's source code
and then recompile, get a nightly build from http://code.google.com/p/igraph
(and compile it of course), or use a simple hack for the time being. The
problem stems from the fact that we accidentally used an integer to store the
maximum edge weight instead of a floating-point number, so the maximum weight
is rounded down when it is stored in this variable. A workaround is simply to
multiply your weights by a large number (say, 1000000) and then round them. I
tried it with a multiplicative factor of 1000000 and the result had a
modularity of 0.0215057.

All the best,
Tamas