Re: [igraph] results of betweenness centrality and closeness centrality

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] results of betweenness centrality and closeness centrality
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 21:23:22 -0400

There are a couple of (partially overlapping) usual reasons for the results being different:
- different software calculate slightly different measures, i.e. one normalizes the results, the other does not, etc.
- different software handle multiple edges differently
- they handle self-loops differently
- they have different defaults, e.g. some ignore edge directions by default.

Igraph uses the formulas that are in its manual, and the results are undefined (ie. I am not sure what happens) for graphs with loop and/or multiple edges.

Best,
Gabor