Re: [igraph] network layout 'grouping' by vertex attribute

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] network layout 'grouping' by vertex attribute
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 21:37:30 +0200

> I will give it a try, this sounds like a sensible suggestion, although - for
> the first suggestion - my network already has weights (the strength of a
> relationship).
Well, you can either derive another weight from those original weights that you
will solely use for layout purposes, or ditch those weights entirely when you
run the layout algorithm. (Note that the weights that the layout algorithm uses
do not have to be in an edge attribute named "weight", they can be in any other
edge attribute or in a separate vector).

> Need to find out how to create (how does one assign coordinates and create
> noise?) and assign (how does one 'place a node'?).
Most igraph layout algorithms have a "seed" parameter where you can pass in a
matrix with N rows and 2 columns such that row i describes the initial position
of vertex i in the network (using X-Y coordinates). You have to create such a
matrix in advance and then pass that to the layout algorithm as a seed.