Re: [igraph] degree according to vertex attributes

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] degree according to vertex attributes
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 23:44:19 +0200

Hello,

Suppose that the city is encoded in the "city" vertex attribute of the graph;
for instance:

> g <- grg.game(100, 0.2)
> V(g)$city <- LETTERS[(0:99 %/% 10) + 1]

First, we get the edge list of the graph:

> el <- get.edgelist(g)

Next, we select those edges (i.e. rows) from the edge list where the endpoints
are in the same city:

> internal.edges <- which(V(g)$city[el[,1]] == V(g)$city[el[,2]])

We then create a subgraph which consists of these edges only:

> internal.graph <- subgraph.edges(g, internal.edges)

degree(internal.graph) will then give you how many friends each person has in
the same city, and degree(g)-degree(internal.graph) will give you how many
friends each person has in different cities.

Best,