Re: [igraph] chosing a graph library

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] chosing a graph library
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 10:16:21 +0200

Hi,

> Can you please tell me when this library is more
> efficient then other libraries, such as BGL or LEMON?
There are no particular benchmarks between BGL and igraph, or between LEMON
and igraph, so we don't know. Also, "more efficient" in general does not
always make sense; for example, igraph falls behind a bit when it comes to
graphs where modifications to the graph structure occur more frequently than
queries, but it comes out very well when the graph structure is mostly
static. Chances are that you'll have to run your own benchmarks if you are
really interested in this.

> Is that library more efficient when dealing with
> de bruijn graphs?
igraph has no particular preference towards de Bruijn graphs, they are
represented in the same way as any other graph (i.e. with an indexed edge
list). You can generate de Bruijn graphs with a single dedicated call, but
none of the other algorithms are particularly optimized for de Bruijn graphs.

Cheers,
Tamas